Friday, September 14, 2007

Atlanta insects

Have I ever mentioned that the insects in Atlanta are big and EVERYWHERE? I've actually come to really like spiders. They don't seem creepy anymore in comparison to the thumb-sized cockroaches that sneak through the vents onto my ceiling. Plus spiders eat other bugs. There are some cool spiders that make nest-like webs on tops of bushes, dozens on every bush. I think it's pretty neat. The pictures here are of a massive green moth that looks like a couple of leaves attached to a beetle, and a praying mantis. The moth lived outside my door for about a week in August, and the praying mantis is a current resident of my doorway. I've also seen a blue-striped lizard (not an insect I know, but it just resurfaced in my memory) on the sidewalk in front of my building. He basks in the sun, but he runs away whenever I get near. I actually enjoy bugs (to see, not touch), lizards, and other creeping things, but not cockroaches. Never.

3 comments:

Beth said...

I am so proud of you for coming to terms with the bugs. I have not been able to do so. We have the same cockroach issues her in Texas and every time I find one (which of course Paul never finds one) I get totally grossed out and my stomach gets totally sick. Yesterday there were 4 crickets sandwiched between my screen door and front door. Where to they all come from and how do they find me? I don't know. Also, it seems lately that the cockroaches come in pairs from under my dishwasher. I will be minding my own business, getting drink of water, when SURPRISE!! Yuck, yuck, yuck! I make Paul kill them.

Michelle said...

Yucky! I hate bugs! I don't think I would enjoy living there, except that I would get to see you a lot more often :)

Supermom said...

Bon, my mom still has nightmares about the cockroaches in New Orleans. She HATES them so much, and will NEVER live in the south again, just becasue of them. I am proud of you for being a good sport!