Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The life and death of a skirt

June 2009: I bought Audrey this Fancy Nancy dress up skirt. Love at first sight. Over the next ten months, Audrey wore this skirt almost daily. The wear started to show. November 2009: See, it's always there.
February 2010: Looking a little flat, lost a lot of fabric, soon to lose most of the flowers.March 2010: Mom starts pleading with Audrey: "This tutu is so sad, maybe you should wear this new one from Grandma?" Audrey: "No." Mom: "Uh-oh, this tutu is broken!! You can't wear it anymore." (The elastic is worn out by this time). Audrey: "No." Mom starts to hide the skirt; Audrey starts to ask: "Mom, where's my sad broken tutu?????"
May 2010
We go to Disney World. Mom DOES NOT let Audrey wear the skirt in Florida, and keeps "forgetting" the tutu in the car afterward.
June 2010
Audrey mostly forgets about the skirt, but one day pleads for her sad broken tutu back. I cave, and give it to her. She gives it hugs and kisses and croons her love in a soft voice ("I missed you, sad broken tutu!"). I cringe, here we go. The next day, she puts it here:I guess after a month's absence, she finally sees it with my eyes. :)
Now she's wearing the new one from Grandma. I'm sure you'll be seeing it pictures to come.

5 comments:

Beth said...

Claire has a ballet outfit she calls her "wedding dress." The tutu part is getting all raggedy too. She wears it all day. I know she will be just as sad as Audrey when the days comes to throw it away.

I am amazed that Audrey put it in the trash herself. I don't see that happening here.

Baker said...

Well, it was a very fancy tutu and I'm sad to see it die. Impressive letting go for a three year old, don't you think? Love the pic of Ben playing dress-up.

And can I just add here...
your comments on my blog had me smiling, laughing and missing you terribly. Pout. :( FRUCK. That's awesome. I literally laughed out loud.

Mama Megs said...

I thought this story was so cute! It's so funny how girls just know that a tutu is important to everyday life ;) Thanks so much for the picture of Audrey and Ian-so cute!! How's things going?

Wendy Niceler said...

"sad broken tutu" that is classic!!!

L'Anita Heiss said...

Hilarious!