I've never been too excited about Mother's Day. It's a nice idea, but I have always regarded it as just another holiday which obligates your husband to do some grandiose thing, or disappoint you (i.e. Valentine's Day, anniversary, birthday, it seems excessive--just spoil me on my bday and I'm good). However, I have been reflecting on motherhood more lately, and now that I've been a mother for a few years, I realize that this holiday is a great idea--a day to truly celebrate the calling of motherhood. It is my most amazing blessing. However, I still have issues with how some people celebrate (I don't want a gift from my husband; I'm not his mom. I don't want a vacation/spa day/etc. away from my children; I should be with the people who made me a mom. I don't need a break from all housework and cooking--that doesn't make sense to me either).
Mr. B and I discussed it, and we decided to begin a tradition of a special family outing on Mother's Day weekend, so that I can enjoy my kids and enjoy being a mom. So, yesterday we went up to Acworth Beach, which is about 45 minutes away, and we had a wonderful time! Audrey has been asking to go to the beach for months, and since we can't make the five hour drive to the ocean right now, we went up to Allatoona Lake, where they have a little stretch of sand leading to the water's edge. Audrey was in heaven, and I was too. Ian just slept--good plan, Ian.


It wasn't quite swimming weather, but boy did she want to get all the way in that water!! She was completely fearless.
Mr. B and I discussed it, and we decided to begin a tradition of a special family outing on Mother's Day weekend, so that I can enjoy my kids and enjoy being a mom. So, yesterday we went up to Acworth Beach, which is about 45 minutes away, and we had a wonderful time! Audrey has been asking to go to the beach for months, and since we can't make the five hour drive to the ocean right now, we went up to Allatoona Lake, where they have a little stretch of sand leading to the water's edge. Audrey was in heaven, and I was too. Ian just slept--good plan, Ian.



It wasn't quite swimming weather, but boy did she want to get all the way in that water!! She was completely fearless.



6 comments:
I'm with you! It doesn't make sense to not celebrate Mother's Day with your kids. A day away is always nice, but not for Mother's Day.
I couldn't agree with you more! I haven't gotten an anniversary/mothers day gift in many a year! I hate to waste money on something just cause it's a "holiday." I love the way you put it-what a great tradition!
Funny, I have never really thought about the fact that people do get the gift of "mom time out" for mother's day. Your beach trip looked amazing. Good idea.
I love your idea about doing things with your kids for the weekend. I love being a mom too.
The pic with the girls laughing is adorable.
I agree, what a better way to spend Mother's Day than with your kids??? They're the ones that made you a mother! It's a great day to enjoy our being mothers and really appreciate what that means :)
What a wonderful tradition. Things break, but memories can last forever.
Looks like Audrey enjoyed playing in the water, she is such a cutie.
Post a Comment